Tuesday, June 30, 2020

2020 -- 6 Months Have Passed Away

 Today...  marks the last day of June 2020 and a 6 month milestone for the year 2020...  and, if you are like me, you are wondering where it all went and cannot believe that it passed by so quickly...  such is life when you are 60 years of age and older...

Life changed dramatically for me when I reached 60 years of age.
  • I was told I had cancer
  • I was told that I had a serious heart attack
  • I realized my body no longer had all its strength
  • I realize my eye sight was worsening
  • I realized I could not hear as well
  • I realized I was no longer as active
It was then that I started thinking about my retirement and making sure our home was modified to accommodate a retired lifestyle.  I used the extra money I was generating as an Organizational Business Consultant to pay for these changes.  

My wife and I started saving as much money as we could afford and began watching what we spent our money on and in particular, we made sure that we ELIMINATED ALL OUR DEBT which was by far the best decision of our entire lives.

TWELVE YEARS LATER, both my wife and I are retired...  I at 67 and she at 62 and we have enough money to pay our modest bills for the next 25 years and then some.  And, if I were to die tomorrow, there is enough money saved to pay her bills until she is 97 with the understanding that she would have to sell the house and move into an apartment.

In other words, we are not wealthy, but we SAVED MONEY...  We have no other retirement income outside of Social Security and what we managed to save...  and, we are lucky...

What do we do now that we are retired?
  • We sleep until about 8:30 am
  • We work outside in the yard
  • We work inside the house
  • We read and write and shop
  • We spend 2-3 weeks at the beach
  • We've been on 10 cruises
  • We've been to Hawaii 3 times
  • We've been to Europe twice
  • We've been all over the USA
COVID-19 has successfully demonstrated to us that HOME is where we need to be and that since we are going to be staying here more than expected that we better develop some hobbies...

Right now, I maintain 4 blogs on a daily basis which occupies a lot of my time and could occupy more if I was also motivated to fill all pages that I have created for each blog...  sometimes, the motivation just isn't there to constantly write, edit, and research.

In my distant past I spent a lot of time photographing nature and individuals as well as dabbled in oil painting which I suppose I could revisit...  but, there is nothing drawing me there like before...

I have also started and completed a couple of novel and am in the middle of a third but lost interest there as well...

What to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...