Sunday, May 9, 2021

Lessons Learned

I am not a millionaire nor am I a billionaire and I was not the CEO or the Vice President of a Fortune 500 Company nor did I live in the northern USA and earn a grand salary and live in a grand house...  I lived and worked mostly in NC and TN with side ventures in KY, VA, and SC from time-to-time.  My career revolved around education either teacher, administration, or providing services and while I did not really enjoy my career, I was good at what I did, especially the teaching although I was disappointed with the decline of student willingness to learn.

There are many lessons that can be learned in the workplace if one is intent on improving one's knowledge and abilities instead of just earning a paycheck and never complaining about anything other than to a friend or a spouse after work.

These are my lessons learned:

First - don't lie, withhold the truth, and be honest at all times

Second - learn all you can as quickly as you can

Third - achieving results if more important than being creative & talented

Fourth - change companies every 3-5 years unless on a fast track upstairs

Fifth - select a mentor carefully and mentor others carefully as well

Sixth - keep a record of everything you do, no matter how petty

Seventh - don't leave work before the boss leaves at the end of the day

Eight - dress for success but don't overdress to impress

Ninth - don't flirt with anyone of the opposite sex even at company functions

Tenth - get to know your suppliers and try to impress them often

Eleventh - develop excellent communication skills (writing, speaking, presenting)

Twelfth - always be an excellent team player


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...