Saturday, April 10, 2021

Reflections of an Educational Nature

 Kodachrome by Paul Simon

"When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all..."


I have often wondered about this even though it was never articulated until Paul Simon composed the lyric...  yet, I remember countless hours spent in classes from which I learned very little and very little was ever used by me in my 45 year career...  not even to impress my peers or work associates as we engaged in play banter...

UNFORTUNATELY for us all, the classes we took in high school were never intended for us to use that information directly in a work environment...  NO...  those classes were specifically designed to SEND US TO COLLEGE...  and, our undergraduate classes were again not designed to give us information for a possible work career, but to send us to GRADUATE SCHOOL which in turn would send us into a DOCTORAL PROGRAM...


THIS IS WHY EDUCATION IS FAILING...


10-20% all high school graduates should be directed towards pursuing additional education like that which is found in a Community College or a 4 year College or University...  The rest of us are the ones that are going to be actually doing all the GRUNT WORK and don't need additional education.

NOW...  don't get me wrong...  I am not opposed to high schools pushing us in the direction of technical education...  and, it would appear, at least to me, that their FOCUS should be on technical education as opposed to college education.

Who really cares about:
History
Geography
Social Studies
Science
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English
Advanced Math

IF...  what you are planning to do is open a restaurant, build computers, write computer programs, or drive a truck, or work in an auto parts store, or for that matter join the military or become a professional athlete or musician...

There is no high school course that I know about that teaches students about investing their money for retirement or about balancing a budget or about the pros and cons of having debt or whether they should lease or buy or how to balance a check book or if life insurance is really necessary...

Teaching students CRITICAL RACE THEORY is not going to help them find a job after their high school education other than understand why they cannot find a job...


THIS EDUCATIONAL DIRECTION IS STUPID...


However...  proper communications:  writing, speaking, presenting is a good education to have regardless of what one plans to do with their lives...


No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...