Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Cooking to be Cooking

When my wife retired, she decided that she no longer wanted to be required to cook
everyday either for herself or both of us or for others unless it was a special holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Up until that point-in-time, my cooking interests were just for fun...  like making soup, biscuits, or cooking a hamburger.

So, if I wanted to eat, I had to start cooking for myself whether I liked it or not...  and, so I adopted the daily or every other day cooking routine so that I would have something to eat other than making a sandwich, cooking a burger, eggs, or oatmeal.

My base of ingredients was:  onions, garlic, peppers, celery, pepper, and olive oil

Once those were in a pot cooking, I typically added all sorts of different kinds of beans, such as:  white beans, navy beans, black beans, pinto beans and/or veges like:  broccoli, squash, zucchini, peas, or limas.  To this mixture, I would add white rice (basmati) or very thin spaghetti noodles.

Not too long ago, I made lasagna with Turkey Burgers and except forgetting to cook the noodles before I put them in a glass container and into the oven, everything went ok and the damn thing tasted pretty good.

I've also made bread in a Dutch Oven and cooked a whole chicken in an Instant Pot.

I've cut my fingers several times while chopping up stuff and while I have never made anything too complicated, I am not afraid to cook other than cooking on a grill where it is difficult to gauge cooking times without a temperature probe or plenty of experience.

I don't use a whole lot of spices nor do I fully understand combinations of foods or how to offset one taste with another...  I watch cooking shows and they explain stuff like that from time-to-time but it does not sink in.

Maybe one day I will attend a cooking class.



No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...