Saturday, April 10, 2021

Careers and Such

I worked for 45 years and retired in 2015 although I still teach a class or two in the evenings for a local university in business or some sort of related field.  I can only teach undergraduates as I do not have a PhD and my 45 year career accounts for absolutely nothing when it comes to schools wanting to keep their accreditation...  which to me seems somewhat silly since most of those who hold PhD's have no work experience at all other than teaching their classes and attending meeting and/or conferences and giving speeches.

I have held the following positions:
  • Laborer
  • Associate
  • Manager
  • Director
  • Executive Director
  • Corporate Director
  • President
  • CEO
  • General Education Instructor
  • Project Management Chair
  • Assistant Dean of Students
  • Dean of Students
  • Director of Education
  • Professor of Business
Ironically, in all of my positions, except that of being a professor, I worked 60+hours a week...  when I was a full time professor, I was hard pressed to work 20 hours a week of which ONE FIFTH of that was spent in the office waiting for students to visit me but no one ever did.

What did I learn?
1.  Management cannot be trusted
2.  Supervisors cannot be trusted
3.  Someone is always trying to take your job away
4.  If you don't produce you don't stay employed
5.  Achieving results/outcomes is all that matters\
6.  The bottom line is a scapegoat
7.  Don't take anything personal
8.  FOCUS ON:  More revenues, Less expenses
9.  Family always comes second
10.  Don't trust anyone
11.  Christian managers are worse than non-Christian managers
12.  Don't ever be late
13.  Lying to subordinates is typically necessary
14.  Integrity does not always help one succeed
15.  Keep a journal of everything
16.  NEVER LOOK BACK
17.  Improvements are not always necessary or valid
18.  Don't always rely on goals and expectations
19.  Learn to be flexible
20.  NEVER say what you really believe

If this list seems a little too cynical...  believe me, it is not...  it may not be cynical enough because the marketplace of business is a WAR ZONE of power and control, results and profits...  nothing else matters.  EVERYONE is expendable, including top management as well as a Board of Directors...  and Shareholders can always be BOUGHT OUT.

HE WHO RULES TODAY MAY FALL TOMORROW...


No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...