Tuesday, June 22, 2021

I am NOT A CHEF

I have been cooking since college when I would cook soup in a popcorn popper and later progressed to emptying a can of soup into a pot, adding a can of water, bringing it to a boil, pouring in a cup of rice, putting the lid on, turning the burner down to simmer, and 30 minutes later, I had a perfectly cooked casserole...  which, I put in 4-5 plastic containers and would have a meal for the next 4-5 days.

My cooking is similar in that I cook for meals ahead but it varies with 4 or 5 or 6 based upon what I am cooking.  For instance, this morning:

I took a baking potato, cut it in half, then cut that piece into thirds, kept the parts together, cut that into third, again keeping the parts together, and cut down the length so that I would have small cubes.

I put those cubes in a frying pan to which I added diced onions, diced peppers, and diced vege sausage (round patties).  Added lots of pepper and salt along with Olive Oil, Worcestershire sauce, Mustard, and Ketchup and cooked it until the potatoes were soft.

I could have divided it into 2-3 containers and would have had enough for three meals but I decided on two meals where I would feel more than full each time.   I have no idea what I made that decision.

Mostly, I cook Turkey Burgers and a vegetable like broccoli, peas, or limas and add rice and it makes for 3 meals each of which is between 300-450 calories.  My number of containers is typically based upon keeping my calories no higher than 450 so sometimes it is 3 containers, sometimes 4...  it also depends on how filling each meal will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...