Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Remembering...

I remember watching Bob Ross every Saturday morning on PBS in North Carolina and it was an adventure that I tried not to miss unless I absolutely had to.

Ross painted with OILS not ACRYLICS and his techniques was WET ON WET with the understanding that the thickest layer is always first, and the oils are thinned out as one paints on top of what is already there...  allowing the paint to stick and form the illusions of shadows and depths of fields.

Ross started painting when he was in the Navy in Alaska as when his 8 hour shift was over there was really nothing else for him to do...  and so, he always requested the positing of Alaska since other sailors avoided it because of all the isolation.

Ross eventually died of cancer much younger than he should have because he inhaled the toxic fumes of the chemicals he used as paint thinners.

His technique is a valid one and has been taught to many people and his son used to carry on his painting legacy but I do not know if he continues the practice or not.

I have at least 3 tapes of Bob Ross that I taped off of PBS as a VHS recording but I no longer have the VHS machine so my watching Bob Ross days are over...  unless I find a YOUTube video...

Was he a genius...  probably not...  but, he was very clever in his painting methodology and after several years of applying his own techniques, he became pretty damned good...

For me...  Bob Ross will always be remembered...

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...