Sunday, December 20, 2020

Eating Leftovers

My Dad's entire career of 40 years (retiring at the age of 62) was spent not just working for our Federal Government, but working specifically and exclusively for the Department of Agriculture.  Aside from being the Agricultural Attache to Egypt, Holland, and Poland,  I can recall only two of duties prior to working at our Embassies and those were:
  • Responsible for the food lunch programs in all the public schools
  • Responsible for selling American Agricultural products to other countries in the world

I believe that it was from the first of the two jobs listed above that I adopted the habit of eating everything that was on my plate and making sure all the leftovers were eaten before cooking any new meals...  and, it had nothing to do with all the starving children in China or anywhere else in the world other than the fact that it was logical, common sense, and prevented waste.

As I got older, I began noticing more and more how Americans WASTE FOOD, especially leftovers, but they only eat about half of what they have ordered because it has gotten cold I suppose, but in about an hour later, they are hungry again.

I attributed this to a lack of parental discipline or being so wealthy that food waste was not that important.  And, I remember an economics professor telling me that once I paid for my food and/or beer that I need not consume either because the money was already spent...  and, there were no do-overs.   

I have left my father's home at the age of 18 and 55 years later, I am still making sure that I eat all the leftovers.  My wife discovered, in the last day or two, that we still had a box of Moravian Sugar Cake in the freezer from last Christmas...  after ordering more for this Christmas...  She put the Sugar Cake in the refrigerator to be eaten but after warming up a section, it no longer tasted good, so it is left up to me to eat all that remains

While it does not taste as good as just coming out of the oven, it still tastes pretty good and I have no problems eating a little each day to keep down on the calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...