Sunday, September 13, 2020

Selling Books

Maria Bartiromo

The new media outlet CNN started in 1980 in Atlanta, GA by Ted Turner who also owned the Turner Broadcasting Company.  In 1980, I was living and working in North Carolina while attending graduate school at Wake Forest University.  This was the first time that a media outlet was promoting 24/7 news broadcasting...  but, it made since because there were several companies that were operating 3 shifts of work and it provided those employees with NEWS whenever.

However, because it did not have that much substance to broadcast, CNN was quickly referred to as CHICKEN NOODLE NEWS.

At the time, I was pretty much focused on watching CBS because of Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather.

I have no idea when FOX NEWS started but I started watching it regularly sometime around 2000 because I began to notice that CBS and CNN were becoming politically biased and I did not think that was appropriate when presenting the news as those people should have been NEUTRAL.  And, the more I checked around, I discovered that FOX NEWS was not that biased...   checking out ABC and NBC as well.

HOWEVER, watching FOX NEWS has now left me with a concern because it appears that almost every program host or hosts have written a book and is using their time ON AIR to promote their book.  This gives them an unfair advantage over other authors who must rely on other conventional approaches since they are not working at FOX NEWS.

What got me going was watching Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo this morning and during the broadcast she advertised for her new book, THE COST...   Is this FAIR AND BALANCED for a new outlet?




No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...