Monday, October 5, 2020

1966: High School Graduation and the Vietnam War




At the beginning of 1966, the number of U.S.
military personnel in South Vietnam totaled 184,314. 

South Vietnamese military forces totaled 514,000 including the army (ARVN) and the Regional Force and Popular Force (the "Ruff-Puffs") militias.

The North Vietnamese People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) numbered 400,000, most still in North Vietnam. 50,000 PAVN cadre and soldiers infiltrated South Vietnam during 1965. 

The U.S. estimated the number of Viet Cong (VC) and PAVN soldiers in South Vietnam at nearly 280,000 by June 1966, including part-time guerrillas.

A pause in the bombing of North Vietnam by U.S. warplanes had been announced by President Johnson on 24 December...



AND...  where was I?
I had just graduated from high school in MAY and was traveling around throughout Europe on $5/day, drinking wine and sleeping with as many woman as I could find who wanted to spend the night with me... and save themselves some bread (money)...

After spending about 6 weeks in Europe, I ended up in Upper Marlboro, MD where I lived in an unfurnished apartment while working road construction until I had to report to Elon College, NC to begin as a Freshmen in College.

As I recall, I did not care for college that much and decided to get a part-time job in a textile mill when I was not in class...  As it turned out, I began dying socks for Burlington Industries...

For all of 1966 and the better part of 1977, I remained in NC without my parents as my Dad had to complete his tour of duty with the American Embassy in Cairo, Egypt...  but...  for the life of me, I cannot remember where I spent Thanksgiving and Christmas in 1966 or in 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...