Thursday, January 28, 2021

Equity and Equality

FOX NEWS:  Greg Gutfield says...
Tuesday, President Biden signed four executive actions based on racial equity -- focusing on systemic racism in private prisons, housing, COVID relief and tribal relations.

Apparently, systemic racism is like oxygen -- it’s everywhere you look.

And the solution is equity. Not equality. Equity.

Even Joe’s using the word. Does he know what it means? Who knows?

Which means that it’s time for...

Greg explaining stuff the media wishes you wouldn't understand!

Equality, as you know, means you have the opportunity to try something, even if you're bad at it.

I can try to play basketball. I will suck… but in America, I have an opportunity to try.

Just like I have the opportunity to become an electrical engineer, a pipefitter or a Peloton instructor.

I would suck at those, too, but it’s against the law to discriminate against me.

It’s about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

Which is what equity promises. Equality of outcome. A reserved space based on the single variable of systemic discrimination. Your "equity" becomes an entitlement.

So even though I suck at basketball, there should a place for me in the NBA.

Equity not only ignores competence, but it also reduces the diversity of talent that comes from opportunity -- as well as ignoring how people choose different things.

From my perspective as an instructor, I can give both black and white students an equal opportunity to make an "A" or I have give extra points to the LESS THAN SMART STUDENTS so that every actually receives an "A".



No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All postings for this blog will appear on my blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all of the internal page links have been switched.  This bl...